Friday, June 5, 2009

quiet time menu planning

Hi. I just finished cleaning out the chicken coop. For some reason I didn't figure this in to the whole 'backyard chickens' thing. What fun.

And this afternoon I'm spending some quality time pouring over recipes for Melanie's shower. It is UM close. Like only 2 more planning weekends.



Cookbooks are stacked up on the couch waiting for me to finish puttering around the backyard and picking up the house. I find it impossible to properly relax when my space is not in order. Is that weird? Sometimes I wish I could just let things be, but I cannot. Starting the weekend messy is not my thing.



Does anyone else steal menus from restaurants and stash them between the pages of your favorite cookbooks? I am shameless about it. As in when the waiter takes our order and attempts to collect our menus I always say, OH actually I think I'll keep one in case we want to order something else. And then the moment she turns her back I stuff it in my purse.

BUT HOW ELSE WILL I REMEMBER SUCH DELICIOUS FLAVOR COMBOS??

These are from AOC, Boulette's Larder (where I'd be perfectly happy living out my days), and Osteria Mozza.

I only take them if they appear of the temporary sort, I should mention. I'm not THAT bad.

Happy weekend you all.

13 comments:

Celia said...

my mister an i went to "comme ca" in february to celebrate our engagement and i stole the menu. how could i not??

Modelmental said...

I was quite scandalized until I saw the 'temporary sort' qualification! And I so understand your need for order, NOTHING gets done around here before the whole house is in (relative) order.
ps. I have not forgotten in the least that I promised you a little pressie, let's just call it pleasure delay? Okay, I've been busy and lazy and bad. One day though, when you least expect it... x

Habit said...

HA! that made me laugh out loud. stealing paper menus is a brilliant way of archiving great meal ideas!!

ps. we ate your beet salad last night... and then again today for lunch - it was amazing!

Marty J. Christopher said...

i never do that, but only because i don't really think to. it's actually not a bad idea. you're giving me the lolz though. a.p. stole a menu from a restaurant we went to last weekend. but i don't think i'm going to be making any dishes with duck hearts any time soon.

mimi said...

i just posted about the best menu i have ever come across. the food was almost the best...
menus are inspiring! i always fake dishes i like from my favorite restaurants.

Hannah Vokes - Director of iced said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I never thought to do that!

Joslyn said...

i absolutely have to have a neat space before i start a project...totally!

Melissa A said...

I don't stuff menus into cookbooks, but I do have the two bottom cookbooks in your stack. It is actually my husband who likes to read them and one's that he found on our shopping trips to Anthropology.

Amanda said...

Having worked in restaurants for a long time, I can assure you that asking for a menu to take is not unheard of in the least. Usually, the restaurant is happy to provide a clean, unsoiled copy for your delight, and will even pop it in an envelope for you :). I'm ridiculous about collecting menus--I have stacks of them. (Though your way sounds highly thrilling!)

Brooke Reynolds said...

In college I was known for stealing menus everywhere I went (not always of the temporary sort.. I did get chased out of a Chinese restaurant once). I covered one wall of my bedroom with them and when Friday night came along, instead of wondering where to go eat dinner, people would just come over and peruse the wall of menus. That way they could make a well informed decision.

Vanessa said...

That's a great idea. Why don't you just view the menu's online and print them out? Most places have a website these days. This way you can be bad in secret and avoid any embarassing situations!

east side bride said...

Menus schmenus. I'm still thinking about the chicken shit.